Saturday, March 9, 2013

"Reflections of a Rock Super-Hero", 1975.

This is the sort of thing I had in mind when I agonized in that last post about how to reconcile the weird non-video game stuff I find in comics with weird video game stuff I find in non-comics. Ultimately, I can't: the blog will simply have to maintain a high but not exclusive signal-to-noise ratio. I may only end up 90% on-point but hopefully the other 10% will still be a curious diversion.

I'm not going to go into great detail regarding this curio: several other bloggers have already covered it pretty thoroughly. But when I scanned it, I didn't know that.

So here it is, the ad for Lofesong Records' 1975 rock opera of the Spider-Man story:

THE BIGGEST ROCK EVENT OF THE DECADE!
HI, ROCK FANS! THIS IS STAN (MUSIC LOVER) LEE SOUNDIN' OFF! I'M HERE TO TELL YOU ABOUT A GREAT, NEW ALBUM -- "REFLECTIONS OF A SUPER-HERO!" IT'S NOT JUST FOR THE YOUNGER SET, EITHER! NO, IT'S AN HONEST-TO-AUNT-MAY ROCK-AND-ROLL ALBUM THAT'S THE ANSWER TO ANY DISK JOCKEY'S PRAYER! AND EVERY ONE OF THE SENSATIONAL SONGS DEALS WITH ANOTHER ASPECT OF SPIDEY'S TUMULTUOUS LIFE! DON'T MISS THIS ONE, TRUE BELIEVER -- BE IN ON THE BEGINNING OF A MUSICAL REVOLUTION! AND, IF YOU'RE WONDERING WHY I'M MAKING LIKE A DEE JAY HERE MYSELF -- GUESS WHO'LL BE NARRATING THE WHOLE AMAZING ALBUM? AWW -- SOMEONE MUSTA TOLD YOU!
ONLY $6.98
+ 39C POSTAGE
& HANDLING

SEND FOR IT!
IT'S CALLED
REFLECTIONS
OF A ROCK
SUPER-HERO!

P.S. IF YOU THINK THE FRONT COVER IS SOMETHING ELSE, WAIT'LL YOU SEE WHAT WE'RE HITTING YOU WITH ON THE FLIP SIDE! IT'S GOT A PUNCH HARDER THAN THE THING FACIN' OFF AGAINST OL' DOC DOOM!
AND HERE'S SOME EXAMPLES OF THE
SUPER SONGS
ON THE ALBUM:

1. "NO ONE HAS A CRUSH ON PETER"
2. "TIME WILL SHOW ME THE WAY"
3. "COUNT ON ME"
4. "GWENDOLYN"
5. "A SOLDIER STARTS TO BLEED"
6. "HIGH WIRE"
AND MANY, MANY MORE!

SEND TO: SUPERHERO MERCHANDISE
P.O. BOX 777
DOVER, NEW JERSEY 07801

PLEASE SEND ME THE FOLLOWING:
RECORD ALBUM ($7.37)
CASSETTE ($8.37)
8-TRACK TAPE ($8.37)
I really don't have anything to ad. It speaks for itself. The bloggers speak for the rest. (If you get a chance, do look up the reverse album art there, it's really quite something.)

Instead, since we've already determined that you fit the interest profile, if not necessarily the location one, I can tell you about the mother of all comic book sales going on here in Vancouver:

April 5 at 12:00pm until April 7 at 3:00pm 1055 Vernon Drive Vancouver B.C. "Do you collect comic books? Know someone who does? This is your chance to bid on one of the largest, most extensive collections in Canada. Silver age, Bronze Age, or Modern Day, there is something for everyone! Viewing takes place on Friday April 5, starting at noon until 7:00pm. For those of you who do not live in the Vancouver area, check out the collection online, where comic lots are being updated daily in March!
Happy hunting, everyone!"